Tuesday 3 July 2012

1940's Hollywood Dress Pattern

I'm linking in with Lakota's ta-Dah Tuesday posts - check her brilliant post out here.

Back in March, on a day with weather not unlike what we have today, I brought you this post featuring the dress I was planning to make.  


Well, 4 months on (where does time go??), and it's finally finished!  This one was much longer in the making than the blue one.  The problem was, I made the skirt, then the blouse but then things ground to a halt - I think the prospect of those bound buttonholes put me off :o)  Well with the bright weather and renewed enthusiasm having tackled the buttonholes on this dress and it's done! 

Like many vintage patterns, they are hard to date.  I used this website and am guessing that my pattern is probably from 1938 or 1939, vague I know :o) 

This was a real joy to make.  The fabric was so easy to use, not slippery and really good quality.  The fabric comes from The Sunbonnet Sue Collection presented by Windham fabrics.  It's a 1930's reproduction print called tonal clover and it's still available here.  Something I hadn't considered when I had it sent from America was the ludicrously high import charges.  The tax isn't too bad; it's the £8.00 handling fee courtesy of Royal Mail! 


 
With the exception of the buttonholes (which weren't a pattern problem just my lack of experience) the pattern was really easy to work with and everything matched up perfectly.  The buckle is vintage and I made the belt using double thickness petersham ribbon, covered with the fabric.  I drew the line at doing belt holes though as I couldn't find anything mighty enough to get through the finished article.  I welcome any suggestions :o) 

Thankfully I photographed it last week when the sun was shining.  Photographed today and the dummy would have sunk into the mud, as it was the dummy ended up sliding down the pole so I had to sit on the floor to get the shots.  Should probably have made use of my iron before snapping :o)
  






That will be it on the sewing front for a while.  I've got my knitting bug back and will be starting the back of the squares jumper, this time taking greater care!!


12 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous dress and my style too!!
    I may have to borrow it........ my two younger sons get married next year - mother of the grooms and all that! Had a modern similar style for eldest son's wedding!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out perfectly, you're so talented with sewing I think you might have to change your user name to incorporate it! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oo that's lovely! The fabric is wonderful and you've done a marvelous job! the white buttons and belt buckle look a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Buttons and buckles and such a nightmare to match - cream is the best way to go :o)

      Delete
  4. It's fab, love the gathered shoulders and puffy sleeves, so evocative of the era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect - well done! Just received your parcel, and I love it all; expect a post about it soon. I just hope mine can live up to yours - expect it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. SO pleased you got the parcel, even more pleased that you like what I put in. I shall look out for the post :o) Best wishes, Lucy xx

      Delete
  6. Love it. The late 30s to early 40s are just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! This is the next style dress I want to make :) I just finished a 1930s style dress (except for the belt) so will have to post that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks gorgeous, I'd love to make a dress like this! So beautifully made and I love the print! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete